The NSW Independent Planning Commission granted approval to Santos’ Narrabri coal seam gasfield, putting land and water at risk. If you’re angry and upset, make sure the NSW Government hears from you making a call today. Please try to stay calm and respectful when talking to them and let us know below how your conversation went in the comments below
Phone Premier Berejiklian on (02) 8574 5000
Phone Acting Deputy Premier Paul Toole on (02) 8574 7000
Phone Agriculture Minister Adam Marshall on (02) 8574 5450
You already know what to say. This decision will never be forgotten or forgiven. Here’s what we think:
- The NSW Government failed to implement the Chief Scientist’s recommendations and failed to create laws protecting the water of the Great Artesian Basin;
- This decision will affect people across a huge area of rural New South Wales, as it will enable six more gasfields Santos has mapped out;
- The NSW National Party failed to act on a conference motion from members urging unused expired coal seam gas licences to be extinguished, so if the Pilliga gasfield goes ahead, it paves the way for industrial gasfields across the entire North West, from Moree to Coonamble, to Gilgandra to Murrurundi to Muswellbrook;
- The destructive Queensland Hunter gas pipeline is designed to connect in gasfields across NSW will be a disaster for the food growing activities across hundreds of kms;
- The NSW Government let the Commonwealth put the interests of the gas industry over the interests of rural communities in the state’s North West.
Other ways you can push back against this decision include:
- Make a post on social media and share our post here.
- Donate to the Narrabri Fightback Fund to support communities as they take on Santos in the courts and the boardrooms and along the pipeline route*.
- Write a short letter to the Sydney Morning Herald and your local paper
*The Narrabri Fightback Fund will mean we can continue to push back against this coal seam gas project with everything we can.
- Your $50 will go towards investigating any legal flaws in the project approval
- Your $70 will help undertake research into pipeline companies and partners
- Your $100 will allow Traditional Owners and Farmers to meet with investors and shareholders