The Threats: CSG & Coal
Out in the Pilliga forest, near Narrabri, in North West NSW, gas giant Santos want to drill 850 coal seam gas wells. It's the only CSG production project proposed in NSW, and farmers, Traditional Owners and environmentalists have been campaigning to protect the Pilliga and stop it becoming an industrial gasfield for years.
They're close to this goal. Santos have written the project down to zero and dumped it with a subsidiary company for non-core assets, and around the region, communities have declared themselves gasfield free. But Santos are pressing ahead seeking development approval for the project and the people of the North West need your help. Get involved here...
Santos has previously indicated it wants to develop a series of 7 gasfields across North West NSW. The proposed 850 well Narrabri Gas Project is the first of these (see image at bottom of page).
There are also several active coal mining operations in the NW NSW region, including the highly controversial Maules Creek mine in the Leard State Forest.
About Us: North West Alliance
The North West Alliance is an affiliation of over 30 groups across north west NSW whose charter it is to educate and advocate with the community, media and government on issues around coal seam gas (CSG) and coal extractive industries.
96% of landholders over 3 million hectares across the north west reject these industries due to their impact on water, land, air, landholders, communities and traditional owners.
The Alliance meets on a regular basis to share knowledge and experiences and to identify the region-wide strategic direction to be taken. The following is a list of our groups:
- People for the Plains, Narrabri:<firstname.lastname@example.org> or 0459 944 778 (Sally)
- Great Artesian Basin Protection Group, Coonamble: 0429 023 007 (Anne)
- Mullaley Gas Pipeline Accord (MGPA):<email@example.com> or 0427 100 153 (Robyn)
- NO CSG Gilgandra:<firstname.lastname@example.org>, <email@example.com> or 0497 665 426 (Danielle)
- SOS Liverpool Plains:<firstname.lastname@example.org> or 0488 056 199 (Nicky)
- Coonabarabran Residents Against Gas: <email@example.com>
- Marys Mount Protection Alliance: 0428 431 548 (Phil)
- POWER – NO CSG, Walgett:<firstname.lastname@example.org> or 0428 961 424 (Sonya)
- CSG Free Tamworth: 0418 289 896 (John)
- Pilliga Environment Group:<email@example.com>
- GasFieldFree Dubbo Region: on Facebook
- Dubbo Knitting Nannas Against Coal & CSG meet Wednesdays: call 0408 229 060 (Sally)
- Namoi Water:<firstname.lastname@example.org> or 0488 925 222 (Jon-Marie)
- Armidale Action on CSG and Coal
- Wando Conservation and Cultural Centre
- Namoi Community Network: http://www.namoicommunityhub.com.au/
- The Wilderness Society Newcastle: call 0448 337 072 (Naomi)
- Lock the Gate – North West Region: <email@example.com> or 0427 476 232 (Megan)
- Caroona Coal Action Group
- Bellata Gurley Action Group Against Gas
- Maules Creek Community Council
- Friends of the Pilliga
- Front Line Action on Coal (FLAC)
- Student Environmental Activist Network
- Stop CSG Sydney
- Australian Student Environment Network
- Merriwa Healthy Environment Group
- Save Bunnan Inc
- Liverpool Plains Youth
- NSW Nature Conservation Council.